Author Topic: [OUT-OF-DATE] First room has no exit (details inside)  (Read 1226 times)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
[OUT-OF-DATE] First room has no exit (details inside)
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
The settings below produced a level which I could not leave the starting area since there were no doors or lifts to leave the section.  <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->

Code: [Select]
-- Game Settings --
seed = 10175
game = doom2
mode = sp
engine = skulltag
length = full

-- Level Architecture --
theme = dm_tech
size = normal
outdoors = heaps
detail = high
light = normal

-- Playing Style --
mons = crazy
traps = normal
powers = more
health = more
ammo = more
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:42:50 AM by andrewj »

andrewj

• Developer
Re: First room has no exit (details inside)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
Which map?  I looked at all 32 of them (arrgghh) and didn't find such a starting room.

NOTE: if you modified some Lua files, then posting the config is not going to help because most modifications will cause different maps to be created.  I can't debug a problem like this without being able to reproduce the same maps.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
MAP01, first room.

Yes, that may have caused the troubles, there was a handful of extra TECH themes (indoor and out) and atop the usual custom monsters being used. I will have to try with a clean copy later on to see if I can reproduce this problem. :)

But again, this was the very first time this ever happened to me with the custom content I have added with all the versions of Oblige I have modded..

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
Since this problem is serious (an unplayable map), if it happens again then please zip up all the lua files + the CONFIG.txt and either attach it here or email it to me and I should be able to debug it then.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
Will do.

Interestingly, the modded LUA I am using also gave some weird structure areas that cannot be reached, and possibly some squished architecture whic I guess what made that seed impossible to play but possible on a clean version (or even lightly modded).

I really wonder what happened near the upper right and lower left corners of the modded version. I have added an unmodded version for comparison, atop the WADs for both if interested.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
I have seen that before, two maps created at the same time and intersecting each other.  I don't remember what caused it, but never seen it since the fix.

flyingdeath

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
I also got this problem once. I was trying to get an earlier version of oblige 3 to add extra weapons and ammo types i had download. It was adding new ammo types that broke it(i just added the ammo objects to the list of collectables and set there ammo type to a new ammo type(eg ammo=greenmana) and set the weapons to the same and hoped it would just work). It usually crashed when i tried to generate maps, but when it worked(i assume because it happend to add no weapons with new ammo types, which i guess is weird) it made, as you say, two maps overlayed(two starts was the first clue). The thing is that, other than the massive homs, rooms that are a door, and inescapable pits, it was a really cool level. It kind of had an old school feel to it with wierd abstract geometry, evil monster placement and loads of routes that led to weird far off places. I even tried to fix the map of overlaping monsters and inescapable pits, but lost intrest really quickly.

I just tried to reproduce the fault just now but it either worked or crashed.