Author Topic: [FIXED] Doom 1 Problems  (Read 1273 times)

kmrblue1027

[FIXED] Doom 1 Problems
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
The Doom 1 generator, when selecting full game makes wads that have 4 episodes...These wads don't work in regular Doom 1, but are fine in Ultimate Doom. If it were possible can a Doom 1 game format be created for regular Doom 1?
Doom is like crack, but better for you.

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Doom 1 Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
Quote from: "kmrblue1027"
These wads don't work in regular Doom 1
Not at all?

What error message do you get?

Kate

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
It's because when doom.exe finds E4M1, it expects there to be patches for the menu and intermissions, so when you try to start a new game, it bombs with "M_EPI4 not found!" when it tries to find the menu title graphic for the episode and can't.

The best way to remedy this is to supply the graphic yourself, maybe make one up from existing letters kind of like what boom ports do now.

To be honest, I think it would be fun if Oblige could generate its' own names (and thus title patches) for episodes to fit the chosen theme for it, like it does for maps and intermission patches. =P

for a start, some of the pre-defined map names would also make great episode names, like "Extinction of Mankind" and "Wires and Bloodcells"

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
Would deleting the E4M1-E4M9 map entries in the generated wad alleviate the trouble if you using a non-Ultimate Doom version of Doom?

kmrblue1027

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »
When I boot up the game in both skulltag and legacy and hit the new game option it crashes. (No error message)
I think it's because my game doesn't have the episode name for the forth one.
Is there some way to correct this?

PS: If I could delete E4M1-E4M9 that would work but I don't know how. Also the old 0.9x versions of Oblige didn't have this problem

Edit:I found a fix!  :) Apparently there's a official id patch that upgrades Doom 1.9 to Ultimate Doom! Sorry to trouble you people... :oops:
Still don't know why 0.9x Obliges didn't have this problem... Oh well
Doom is like crack, but better for you.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »
Quote from: "pink-silver"
It's because when doom.exe finds E4M1, it expects there to be patches for the menu and intermissions, so when you try to start a new game, it bombs with "M_EPI4 not found!" when it tries to find the menu title graphic for the episode and can't.
Thanks for the explanation, I see the problem now.

The best way to remedy this is to supply the graphic yourself, maybe make one up from existing letters kind of like what boom ports do now.
I don't think that will work unless a bunch of other graphics are added too (INTERPIC etc).

Hmmm need to think about this.....

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »
I am fixing this by having two separate game choices: "Doom 1" and "Ultimate Doom".  The only difference of course is the number of episodes created (3 vs 4).