Author Topic: Future of this forum  (Read 773 times)

crowbars82

Re: Future of this forum
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 04:09:59 AM »
Hi again,

Do you have a specific time when you will want to be shutting the forum down?

Thanks  :)

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
The code is there for us to read :)

Not everyone can read code as if it's a second language.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »
Do you have a specific time when you will want to be shutting the forum down?
I guess I should pick a date......

Ok, let's say the end of January 2018.

Frozen_Soul

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
Hi Andrew,

First of all, I want to echo everyone else's grateful appreciation for all of the hard work and dedication you have shown to this project.  I absolutely love Oblige and the updates you have made over the years and the quality of the maps that result continue to thoroughly impress me!  It keeps Doom a fresh and wonderful experience with every play through.  Also, I'd like to thank you very much for keeping Oblige open-source on GitHub.  Hopefully someone with the same care and patience will one day take over the reigns of this project and keep adding even more exciting features and dynamics.

Before these forums close, I would like to chime in a couple of suggestions to yourself and the community:

• What if a Discord server for Oblige was created so that further discussions and modifications regarding Oblige can still continue?
  • I was reading through the FAQ page and noticed your response to the question "Wouldn't it be cool if OBLIGE could build maps using all the different methods of previous versions?"  I completely understand that it would be very time consuming to combine all of the capabilities of all Oblige versions into one program.  However, each Oblige version does have unique features that are not always available in other versions (e.g. no 3D Floors in 7.70).  I was thinking instead, what if a simple program was created that simply mixed and matched level maps from different WAD files into a new WAD file?  That way someone could create as many Oblige maps as they like using different versions, and the program could randomly select maps from these WAD files to create a new randomized map WAD.  For example, I could create map WADs from Oblige versions 7.70, 6.20, and 4.28, and the program could then generate a new WAD that randomly puts together level maps from each of these WADs.  That way, you could experience the unique aspects of the different Oblige versions in one playthrough without having to lump all the versions together into a new Oblige program.

Thanks for your time, and I wish you all the best.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
I was thinking instead, what if a simple program was created that simply mixed and matched level maps from different WAD files into a new WAD file?

I like the way you think, but from what little I know about these things I can't imagine that it would end up being a "simple" program. Still, it would be a wonderful thing to have if it worked properly. Right now I mix-and-match maps just as you suggest manually with Slade 3.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »
First of all, I want to echo everyone else's grateful appreciation for all of the hard work and dedication you have shown to this project.
Thank you @Frozen_Soul :)

What if a Discord server for Oblige was created so that further discussions and modifications regarding Oblige can still continue?
Well anybody could create such a thing, however I personally would not use it.  The main reason this forum is closing is that I no longer want to answer questions about OBLIGE.

I was thinking instead, what if a simple program was created that simply mixed and matched level maps from different WAD files into a new WAD file?
Yeah that approach could work.

I think user kop9000 was working on something similar, but using the batch mode of OBLIGE to create the mixed wads.  Doing it that way is limited to V3 versions and later, since the 0.xx versions do not have any batch mode. Take a look through the forums for it.

De-M-oN

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
So the NFS 1 track generator is official dead too I assume?

Its very pity then, because it had a lot of effort into it, but unfortunately very unfinished which doesnt really honor your effort due to this.
It would've been so awesome if you would've finished at least all track support.
It would be pity to lose the work on it because of that.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 04:11:42 AM »
So the NFS 1 track generator is official dead too I assume?
It has been dead for a while.

I did my best.  Sorry it didn't turn out better.

De-M-oN

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
And you did a very impressive job. I didnt say it was bad. Its just unfinished which makes me soooo sad  :'(
Because the generator would've been unbelievable good like the 2 working tracks.

Frozen_Soul

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
I stopped logging into to Doomworld a while ago, but I was lurking on Sunday night (local time) and just happened to read a post mentioning OBLIGE.

So yeah, never saw it coming, but I feel really honored to receive a Cacoward.  It put a smile on my dial :)

Hi Andrew, I was thinking it would be a nice idea to add recognition of your Cacoward to the Oblige homepage.  You truly deserve it.

mattbratt11

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »
I think we need a new forum to keep oblige staying alive in development, and also its own wiki page and documentations on Doom Wiki. More Oblige for everyone! Act now before this forum's foreclosure is active. Since Andrew is no longer active, will Glaice or others keep this community alive? If not, all hope is lost, so farewell to me until further notice.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
I was thinking it would be a nice idea to add recognition of your Cacoward to the Oblige homepage.  You truly deserve it.
Yeah it's a nice idea, I'll think about it.

crowbars82

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 04:54:33 PM »
Hi everyone!

I too am interested in having somewhere we are still able to discuss Oblige related things. I am still battling my way through your Lua Andrew and am still learning a lot about how this particular version (0.97) works and the order to generate stuff. I've now started writing my own Lua functions, mainly as work arounds which are still very effective and have even managed to polish up some of the line and sector tagging code. More info about my latest obsession here!

I looked into creating a Wordpress site with the bbpress plugin which could act at least as a temporary forum for us to share ideas or discuss Oblige code etc.

Has anyone else had any thoughts on something like this? Thanks  :)

Frozen_Soul

« Reply #28 on: Today at 09:08:28 AM »
Perhaps a new forum could be created using the same Simple Machines Forum platform that this message board uses?

This could also potentially be paired with a Discord channel.

hetdegon

« Reply #29 on: Today at 10:47:44 AM »
Although I haven't had time to play around with Oblige code lately, I sure wouldn't mind a Discord.