Author Topic: Those wonderful, wacky, curved stairs  (Read 249 times)

miketheratguy

Those wonderful, wacky, curved stairs
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
I've mentioned this several times in passing and I think possibly even asked about it before, but I decided to bring it up again because it's something that I LOVE and want to get more of: Curved stairs!

I know that a subject like this is of pretty much zero importance but I don't know, everyone loves Doom for their own reasons. We like our own preferred layouts, enemy quantities, etc. For me, these curved stairs have always been a favorite feature. More than almost anything else they make me feel immersed in the game and bring a smile to my face when I see them. Maybe it's because they remind me of the first time I moved up from Wolfenstein and thought "Oh my god, look what they can do with level design now!"

Here's what I'm talking about:

I LOVE when this happens. I look forward to it in every map but only encounter it maybe 3-4 times per episode at most. It didn't seem to exist in 6.20 but I've been happy to see it happening again with the latest builds. My question is: What are these features officially called, and more importantly, what settings can I adjust to increase their frequency? I'd like to see a lot more of these in my game, in particular the "deep" style shown in the last two pictures.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: Those wonderful, wacky, curved stairs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Those "deep" stairs look really nice, I'd love to up their frequency myself. The second screenshot ones were used in the V3/V6 types.

miketheratguy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »
Ah, good to know I'm not the only one who loves this design and yes, the second and fourth pictures are from a wad I made using 3.47, I believe (I'd make more maps with it but for some reason I was getting a RIDICULOUS amount of barrels in those maps and didn't know how to stop it).

The "standard" curved stairs are nice - those little ramps up to a slightly higher platform are a fun bit of architecture, especially since there was a while there when they would never generate. But those deep stairs - steps, really - which are carved into the stone itself and curve all the way down into an entirely different room or spiral in a complete 180 to end at an upper level like they do in that last picture - THOSE are the kind of things that really make me feel like I'm playing Doom.

There has to be some kind of adjustment that can be made to increase the chance of seeing them.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
I know in V7 you can adjust the stair prefab amount by going to the prefab/joiner subdirectory and increasing the prob parameter of curve1.lua

miketheratguy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
Interesting, that setting is at 100 right now.

What's curve 2? The lua for that one is at 25.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »
It's that small, low ceiling bend of a curve. Hardly any vertical height change.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »
In prefab names, the word "curve" is being used to mean a 90-degree turn.  Hallway pieces use a single "c" (for curve).

Other code uses the term "L" shape, but I avoid that in names because a single lowercase "l" can look like the digit "1" or the uppercase letter "I".

miketheratguy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
In prefab names, the word "curve" is being used to mean a 90-degree turn.  Hallway pieces use a single "c" (for curve).

Other code uses the term "L" shape, but I avoid that in names because a single lowercase "l" can look like the digit "1" or the uppercase letter "I".

Does this mean that it strictly comes down to upping the number in the first curve lua as Glacie suggested?

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:03:06 AM »
Does this mean that it strictly comes down to upping the number in the first curve lua as Glacie suggested?
It will help, but it is not the main thing.

The primary thing would be to use more L-shape joiners.  That requires increasing the "prob" value in the "SPROUT_JOINER_L" definition in the scripts/rules.lua file.

miketheratguy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
It will help, but it is not the main thing.

The primary thing would be to use more L-shape joiners.  That requires increasing the "prob" value in the "SPROUT_JOINER_L" definition in the scripts/rules.lua file.

Nice, so it still just comes down to adjusting some luas? Great to hear. Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to trying this out.

EDIT: Sorry, a brief and totally irrelevant question but one I was reminded of by this conversation. I'm still using older builds to experiment and occasionally produce some great levels, but I've noticed that with 3.47 the barrel setting produces lots of barrels regardless of how low I set the option. Since there's no option to actually turn the barrels off completely, is there another lua I can adjust that would reduce their frequency?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:51:02 PM by miketheratguy »

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
In the file scripts/monsters.lua look for the "add_monsters" function and the following line:

Code: [Select]
local barrel_chance = sel(R.outdoor, 2, 20)
Play with reducing those numbers, especially the 20.