Author Topic: 7.59 Edit by Glaice (Updated August 16th)  (Read 2241 times)

andrewj

• Developer
Re: 7.59 Edit by Glaice (Updated August 4th)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
@Glaice, I would like you to make an add-on for this.

Main thing you need to do is to have the files in the package not existing in a main folder.  For example, instead of having "Oblige-7.59_Edit/scripts/monster.lua" in the package, just have "scripts/monster.lua" in it.

Of course you need to make it a PK3 instead of a ZIP.  Just renaming the file can be enough (but make sure Windows has not mucked it up and created a file called xxxxx.zip.pk3).

Ideally you only need to include files in the PK3 which are actually different to the ones in a stock OBLIGE install, as well as files which are completely new.

I think SLADE3 can be used to make PK3 files, but I'm not sure.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
Yea, SLADE can make PK3s.

Doctor Nick

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
Are your edits solely to the LUA script files, or did you make changes to the application source code?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
LUA edits.

ReaperAA

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Do u plan to make a similar edit for version 7.666 as its the latest (stable) version.

That or maybe u can provide us just the modified files so we can manually add them in v7.666

Doctor Nick

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »
LUA edits.

A suggestion: Why not make a git fork? It would make tracking changes and merging stuff from mainline way easier.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »
@ReaperAA: In the future since 7.666 since it came out shortly after 7.59.

@Doctor Nick: I have no idea how to mess with those things.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 03:12:12 AM »
An add-on would be the ideal way, then people can just place it in the addons/ folder and enable it, without disturbing the existing OBLIGE files.

wpeo

• Custom Style Sheet
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
Please consider that at present you stuff doesn't have machine readable information for what it's based on.

Also using a VCS allows to not have many versions of files in the same directory under slightly different names.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 04:41:55 AM »
Was there a Glaice 7.50 edit and if not are there plans for one?

I love the official releases of Oblige of course, but Glaice's edits have a tendency to produce some more difficult levels and different layouts that are nice to mix in with default-generated map sets without having to remember to load different configs each time.

wpeo

• Custom Style Sheet

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »

Doctor Nick

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »

I highly recommend it. It has enabled me to easily identify and fix a bug in your mod, and with tools like gitkraken, it's very simple.

For example, when I was using your mod, I found that the monster types in the generated maps were all over the place. I would get mancubuses and hell knights at the start, chaingunners everywhere, etc.

This would have taken me forever to figure out if I didn't have a git history, but since I committed your changes against the source code, I was able to look and see what changed about the monster logic between your version and the default version:

It turns out that min_weapon is no longer used by recent oblige versions, and has been replaced by "weap_needed" and "weap_min_damage".

So, what I did is I copied the monster.lua from 7.666 and just staged the lines that had the new "weap_min_damage" and "weap_needed"

I think it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run if you take the time to learn the git tools.

I have created a branch called "GLAICE_EDITS" on my fork
here.   You can just copy my fork to get started.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
Thanks Dr. Nick, how do I get access to this to update new versions of the edited code?

Doctor Nick

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:20 PM »
So this is what you have to do:

Install gitkraken.

Open it up, create an account, then go to settings->Authentication

Unclick "Use local ssh agent", and then click "Generate" to generate a new private/public key (save it somewhere safe). Then, click the clipboard next to the SSH public key to copy its contents, we will need this later.

Then, go to sourceforge, and create an account, if you have not already, then log in.

Go to your account settings, then go to SSH settings. Paste the public key into the text box.

After that's done, go here to my oblige fork, and then click "Fork" on the right. This will create your own fork on your account.

Then, once it's forked, go to your fork and then copy only the url part of the "Read/Write SSH access" box. So, for example, the box contains the string:
Code: [Select]
git clone ssh://doctornick@git.code.sf.net/u/doctornick/oblige u-doctornick-oblige
ONLY copy the part
Code: [Select]
ssh://doctornick@git.code.sf.net/u/doctornick/oblige
Go to gitkraken, click the folder in the upper-right corner, click clone->clone with url, paste that url in the box, and then save it wherever you want to save it. (Note: if this gives you authentication errors, just wait 5 minutes, sourceforge is slow with updating SSH keys).

Now, you have your own local copy of your git repository. What I did for your edits is I put them on their own "branch". In order to access your code with my edits, just right click on "GLAICE_EDITS" and click "checkout" (If you want to check out vanilla, just do the same for "master").

Now your local copy is at the head of the GLAICE_EDITS. Now, you can make all the changes that you want. If you want to commit them to your branch, first, make sure that you're on the correct branch, then click "stage all files" in gitkraken, then write up a commit message and commit it. Now, this will only make changes to your local repository. To push your changes up to your remote repository, click "Push" at the top.

Bonus:

Since I know you will probably want to keep on top of the changes to the main repository, here's how to add it as a remote to gitkraken:

click the plus sign on the "Remotes" section.
put "https://git.code.sf.net/p/oblige/code2" in the pull url.
Done.