Author Topic: 7.55 Edit by Glaice (Updated June 29th, 2017)  (Read 607 times)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
7.55 Edit by Glaice (Updated June 29th, 2017)
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
I think my heavy edits for the 7.55 version is ready for release for edits to Doom 2 only. Need some screenshots to woo yourself? See this: https://imgur.com/gallery/IvY39

Features:
  • Themes for Doom 2 is considerably modified and more consistent.
  • Many variations of existing prefabs, plus variants for other themes.
  • Each theme has its own parameter preferences if you use "Mix it Up" settings
  • Outdoors tends to have higher darkness when "Darkness" comes.
  • Use of darker rooms is used more.
  • "Hordes" is a bit more difficult now.
  • Slight modifications to the naming system.
  • Enemy choice altered and variation increased.
  • Best if using a music WAD file replacing all standard 30 Doom 2 tracks*

New since initial post:
  • Fixed some erroneous use of SP_DUDE8 and fixed other prefabs.
  • Tweaked monster settings and placement.
  • Hell theme now has custom hallway/vent textures.
  • Additional Hell theme customization.
  • Traps and cages are harder. Not insane but certainly tougher.

Download #1 (Mega.nz)
Download #2 (Mediafire)

The archive extracts to a separate directory so it does not affect the original 7.55 directory. You will need 7-Zip to extract the files in order to use it.

One last thing, check posts further down for hotfixes and optional changes.

*If you don't use a WAD file replacing all 30 tracks, you may get the same song twice due to the nature of the Music Randomizer edits. Check the /modules/ subdirectory for music_swap_edits.zip to use the original version and music_swap_edits.zip if you want to swap back over after using the original.

Oh, and Andrew can use any edits he sees fit that he wants to implement in future versions from this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:45:43 PM by Glaice »

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
Re: 7.55 Edit by Glaice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
Downloading and going to give it a try now! Thanks!

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
There's a minor hotfix for simple1.lua, nothing broken but just a texture change for urban theme. Place in prefabs/joiner subdirectory.

ScooT9

• that guy who makes games
  • I make bad doom maps so i use oblige to gen them
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
Nice. I'm going to download this now!
Did you know that i also make games?
I'm making one in the doom engine, it's called "m invasion", go check it out on moddb!

flyingdeath

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
Gave it a quick spin. Lots of extra nice looking stuff (blood fountain looks very cool), makes the themes stronger. And barrel's, I don't recall seeing a screen shot with barrel's in, but I know there are some who would download this in an instant if they knew barrels were more generally used.

I like the extra range in brightness (or should I say, darkness), though its a little too dark too often for my taste (though that is very dependent on screen brightness and doom settings + source port used).

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
I like the extra range in brightness (or should I say, darkness), though its a little too dark too often for my taste (though that is very dependent on screen brightness and doom settings + source port used).

My first "knee-jerk" reaction was going to be to constructively criticize the overabundance of darkness as well, but flyingdeath you make a very good point that I think everyone should keep in mind when testing this build. I just started using the most recent version of GZDoom x64 (after QZDoom was merged with it) and I've found that if I try to use the same settings that I used with older versions of the sourceport things are much darker and the contrast seems blacker no matter what wad I'm playing. But after setting the sector lighting mode to "Legacy" and slightly tweaking a few other settings I think I'm good to go now.

The main things I'm loving about this build are the added decorative details and the prefabs which add a lot of atmosphere to the maps and the tweaks to some of the difficulty settings that have made the maps a bit more challenging for me (yes, including the darker areas). The maps are visually interesting and still complex enough on the "extreme" size setting that I could get lost while exploring, and the revised "hordes" setting certainly gives me plenty to shoot at while worrying about my ammo.

Overall, very well done Glaice!

(Andrew J., if Glaice isn't already on the payroll, he should be!)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »
Using "Doom", "Dark" or "Software" lighting in GL ports gives the maximum effectiveness of darkness and works well with the PSX/D64 soundtrack. If you want a reasonable lighting level without it being super dark, choose "Standard". Fog settings makes it slightly darker as well.

Even on "Extreme" it definitely can get convoluted or confusing as sometimes it takes anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes to complete one of those levels. The "Mix it Up" settings for level size is you get mostly regular, some large, a little bit (slightly less than stock 7.55) of small and few extreme sized maps.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »
Another hotfix here, used wrong flat for one of the hell item alcoves. Place in prefabs/item subdirectory.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
In my previous post I mainly commented on aesthetics and level layout (which I'm still loving) but I did not say much about the overall difficulty of generated maps because I was still experimenting with those settings.

To be clear, I don't enjoy maps that are not challenging. I do enjoy maps that force me to actually use strategies like taking cover and conserving ammo and powerups, and this build has provided those kinds of challenges. However, while attempting to generate a full-game wad for Doom II, I had to try several different settings and seeds before I could come up with a wad that had a Map01 that wasn't so full of Chaingunners that I would rage-quit after repeatedly dying only half-way through the map. Chaingunner mobs would be fine on the next map or so, maybe after more weapons have been picked up, but they just feel a bit unfair on Map01, especially when they are in teleporter ambushes. I'm not saying there should be none at all of these guys on the first map mind you, just that they could be thinned out a bit at least until the next map or Map03. I realize I could use the monster control to make them much more scarce, but as I said I don't mind them as a challenge later on and don't want to totally eliminate them from later maps, just Map01. Aside from that, I'm still really liking what I'm seeing in this build. Great work.

Just for the sake of thoroughness, I'm attaching the config settings that produced the set of maps I'm playing now.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
However, while attempting to generate a full-game wad for Doom II, I had to try several different settings and seeds before I could come up with a wad that had a Map01 that wasn't so full of Chaingunners that I would rage-quit after repeatedly dying only half-way through the map.
In the code, chaingunners are given a "level" value of "3", which is designed so that they do not appear on the first map (under default settings).

I just tested the current code, which is the same as 7.55 in terms of monster selection, building four game length wads with *default* settings.  The chaingunner first appears as a normal (non-boss) monster on: MAP04, MAP02, MAP05, MAP05.

I tested another four maps using the "epi" setting for RampUp, like in the config you posted.  Naturally the episodic setting is ramping up quicker than over a full game. The chaingunners first appears as a normal (non-boss) monster on: MAP02, MAP02, MAP03, MAP02.

My take-away is that the code is working as expected, and chaingunners are not being used as normal (non-boss) monsters on the first map.

I can't explain the maps you got though, all I can say is that OBLIGE is designed so that with default settings the chaingunner should never appear in MAP01, except as a end-of-level or guard-a-key boss (and then only alone or as a pair).

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
You're not using something like Complex Doom or Brutal Doom, are you Herculine? If you are, you're going to get absolutely destroyed without doing some tweaking of the monsters.lua in /games/doom subdirectory, or having fantastic skills and the RNG luck having enough cover in the rooms.

See if this edit works better for you, I've upped the level probs for the chaingunners and tweaked a few others.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
In the interest of being a thorough tester, as soon as I read both your timely replies here I generated another full-game mapset for Doom II using the settings I attached earlier and the old .lua, then I put in the new .lua as instructed and used the same settings to generate a second .wad. Playing on the Ultra-Violence setting each time with no mods involved, I then tested the first maps of each .wad. With the old .lua I got a Map01 that, while it doesn't have quite the mobs of Chaingunners that I had described earlier, still has plenty of the guys throughout, mostly in pedestal or cage sniper positions. With the new .lua, I got a Map01 that has a Chaingunner in the starting area and in the first teleporter ambush. Provided below are download links to both of these .wads so that you folks can check them out and dissect them however might be necessary.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91by7rbr2xmmu12/old%20lua.wad?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovf4wcqo12hh76g/new%20lua.wad?dl=0

As always, thanks to both of you for the work you put into Oblige, and I hope my input has been helpful.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »
111 MB? You using extreme size there? Please zip the file next time, it will cut the file size considerably.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
Sorry. It should have occurred to me to put them in compressed 7-zip files. :-[

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
That or ZIP, either is fine :)