Author Topic: Help me interpret someone else's Oblige settings?  (Read 291 times)

miketheratguy

Re: Help me interpret someone else's Oblige settings?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
@miketheratguy

Personally, I would not use Doom Builder for anything unless I actually wanted to make a change to a map layout itself (or of course to create a new map from scratch). When it comes to simply moving things from one wad to another, editing a DeHackEd or MAPINFO lump or making a custom music wad, Slade 3 in my experience is the only way to go. I strongly recommend it.

Wow, sounds like I should be giving Slade 3 a try then. What makes it the superior program?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Resource editing and management. Doom Builder doesn't really have that, it's mainly a map editor.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Wow, sounds like I should be giving Slade 3 a try then. What makes it the superior program?

I wouldn't say that Slade 3 is the "superior program"; what I'm saying is that it's the more appropriate tool for the tasks you've described wanting to accomplish. There's simply no need to use a full map editor when what you want to do is simply copy or rename a map without altering its contents.

Think of it like this: you're working on your bicycle and you need to remove a hex nut. You can use either an adjustable crescent wrench or an appropriately-sized socket wrench. Both tools can accomplish the task, but the crescent wrench could slip and even damage the nut while the socket wrench will be more precise and require less effort. In my opinion Slade 3 is the socket wrench for the jobs you've described wanting to do.

miketheratguy

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »
Thanks guys, everything that you're saying makes sense. I'll try Slade 3 (I may even have used it in the past, the icon looks familiar).

I'll mainly just be wanting to isolate the various maps I like and combine them into a new wad so it sounds like this is the program I should use. The only thing that I'm still trying to understand now is the mapinfo stuff that was mentioned on the previous page but I think it will make more sense once I start trying to do these things. For the moment I'm still in the "play through the wads and write down the best maps" stage.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
Another word of wisdom: Don't edit a WAD in SLADE 3 while the same WAD is open in Doom Builder.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
@miketheratguy

And still another word of wisdom when using Slade 3: if you're using Windows, don't keep any of your works-in-progress in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)". I recently had a perplexing issue regarding this and posted about it over at the DRD Team forums thinking that there was something wrong with the source ports. Fortunately they were eventually able to figure out what was wrong, and now I don't keep any of my Doom stuff in those folders. Rather than repeat the whole long story here, I'll just give you a link and you can see how it all went...

https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=7466

That issue was discovered while working with a custom MAPINFO lump, and I'll gladly discuss MAPINFO later when you feel ready to get into it (which you likely will if you decide to make WADs with more than the default 30+2 maps).

miketheratguy

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
It turns out that I HAVE used Slade 3 before. I didn't like it, lol. It doesn't seem particularly intuitive for a super noob like me. I don't know how to interpret all of the different options or find the simple commands that I need. Doom Builder makes it look easy!

But I'm not tossing Slade 3 yet, I'm actually only just starting to get near the end of checking back through the old levels I generated last year and marking all the ones I want to keep. I won't use both programs at once nor save anything in the program files, both of which seem like bad ideas even without the explanation. It's awesome to know that I can make a wad that's 100 maps deep but the more I think about it the more impractical that sounds so I'll probably just make collections of 20-30 maps apiece, thereabouts. One thing I wondered: Is there any way to set a wad (temporarily or permanently, whether through ZDL or the wad itself) to offer up the maps in random order?

Aside from this the problem I'm currently having is playing Doom levels within Doom II again. I sorted the texture fix a few posts ago but now it seems that the problem has returned without me changing anything. Oh well, one thing at a time I guess.