Author Topic: Will there be a Oblige V7 Prefab Tutorial?  (Read 258 times)

ScooT9

• that guy who makes games
  • I make bad doom maps so i use oblige to gen them
Will there be a Oblige V7 Prefab Tutorial?
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
Is there going to be an Oblige V7 prefab tutorial?
I've tried making a prefab in the past, but it didn't work.
Did you know that i also make games?
I'm making one in the doom engine, it's called "m invasion", go check it out on moddb!

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Will there be a Oblige V7 Prefab Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »
Possibly later I will make such a tutorial.

But right now too many things are still in flux or experimental. In other words, OBLIGE is not yet a stable platform for other people to build upon.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
Considering 7.666 is a final release, putting one together for the community down the line will be quite helpful for those who want to tweak and add stuff to the program. (IE myself, etc).

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:56:51 PM »
Yeah, I would like to document some of these things.

crowbars82

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
This would be great, if only just a few pointers in the right direction. I plan to start playing about with 7.666 (great version number by the way!), as soon as I'm finished messing with Sam's ObHack-engine-008.3 version, which I still work on today with much enjoyment.

It started with me making my own textures WAD, which moved into fiddling with prefab theme-probs percentages, to making my own prefabs and understanding the different add_modes for wall prefabs or extends, islands and feature fabs... (using the 'rails' method for all textures with transparency)... then I ended up editing the hallways and combos, moving lots of stuff from x_doom1.lua to x_doom2.lua and more. Understanding the vertices deletion code was a nice challenge, how you seem to have have used the numeric keypad as reference for direction of VDEL and other stuff e.g. '9' = top right and '1' = bottom left.

Several walls of absolute non-understanding have been hit of the LUA itself which actually plans and builds the maps, but I've managed to disable plain cut windows so only the capped 3 hard-coded prefabs are generated (which I have also edited), and there have been several times where I have wanted to ask for assistance with understanding certain areas of the code which perhaps I should do. Especially with regards to recompiling the main GUI to change up some options a little, as only Doom 2 maps can be generated (many sprites and textures from hellonearthstarterpack.wad are imported).

The WADs and LUAs for the 7.666 prefabs look like a good format, opposed to chunks of ASCII defining solids, and although they do make sense I understand that there is a lot going on now. Especially with the edging, corners, diagonals, certain contextual prefabs for certain parts of the map. I like how each prefab is in a box, and each prefab WAD appears to have numbers of 'maps' for different versions or types of that prefab.

Every single Oblige version sits in a folder, each one used to make a WAD and played through, and it is incredible to see the progress over the last 12 years with each version. There hasn't been something that has gripped my attention like this project for a while.

I must go now to start dealing with 252 theme_probs and also try to stop 'other' feature fabs generating in my hydroponics bays (even setting sc_fabs 'other' to '0' for certain things doesn't stop non-specifically defined prefabs spawning though).

Here is my latest prefab after playing with VDEL, I have tried to lighten up the image this time, but more will be on route soon!  :D

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
and there have been several times where I have wanted to ask for assistance with understanding certain areas of the code which perhaps I should do. Especially with regards to recompiling the main GUI to change up some options a little
Feel free to ask about the code.

But compiling the EXE can a difficult thing.  I compile the Win32 binaries under Linux, so either you need to run Linux on a computer to do it (and I can help if you have problems), or you compile it under Windows (but I cannot help with that).