Author Topic: A dark and spooky modification to Oblige\ObHack  (Read 327 times)

crowbars82

A dark and spooky modification to Oblige\ObHack
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
Hi all Oblige fans!

Firstly, thanks again Andrew for working on this for so long. Being a massive fan of procedurally generated content, I have taken a vast interest in Oblige and for the past few months I have continually dabbled around with the version Sam Trenholme modified called ObHack.

Understandably, it is an older version of Oblige, however I found it fun to work with because of the way prefabs are created in .LUA format and it was interesting to look through all of the .LUA scripts to try and work out how the generator actually works.

Although not a programmer, it is interesting to examine and modify existing code in effort to learn along the way and get some kind of result at the end. I have spent a long while making modifications to the builder.lua, planner.lua, prefab.lua, and the x_doom1&2.luas. I think I have made about 350 edits so far to change certain things about the way the generator functions from creating custom door arches to lots of new Tech & Industrial-specific prefabs, editing the window and doors generation, exit rooms, adding new hallway and room types and playing about with how sector lighting works.

I like Brutal Doom, and use it with the maps I generate, and have pulled it apart to work out how to generate certain sprites from the "hellonearthstarterpack.wad" included with Brutal Doom to add to maps made in using ObHack. I also spent a while sourcing and creating my own textures.wad which replaces about 200 of the Tech and Industrial textures.

In personal taste, I like my Doom maps to be dark, dank and grimy (a bit like Doom 3 I guess) which I feel adds to the spook-factor when playing. Using mods such as Creepy Ambient Industrial Sounds and Fog Effects, they work wonders for what I am going for, after being inspired after playing through E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style by Deimos Anomaly.

Please have a look at this gallery I put together to see the sort of theme I have going so far. It is different to the normal Doom style, but for those who like it dark and creepy it is pretty fun.

I am getting to a point with understanding the LUA code, but my main objective is that I would really like to help out with the project if I am able to do so? I really like making prefabs, and have had a little look at version 7.50 as they are in non-text format, so I have installed Slade to help with making these.

Please can you or anyone point me in the right direction if you would like any assistance with prefabs, room types or anything that may help with making Oblige even cooler than it is now? (If that is possible!)

Thanks for reading!

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: A dark and spooky modification to Oblige\ObHack
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
That is actually pretty nice and it looks like you put quite a bit of work into it as well. :) As a fellow Oblige modder, I approve of this.

hetdegon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Looks pretty good so far, I'd really like to try this out. The more variety in random generation, the better!

flyingdeath

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
Sick screen shots, looks terrifying. Its like you combined Deus Ex with the Quake series and turned the dank up to full.

Demios

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Look's really promising! These screenshots give me a DooM 64 vibe XP with project brutality mod on you'll need to be 100% aware of everything around you hehe specially to spot these ceiling crawling imp bastards XD.Also , if you happen to make your own personal fork in oblige maybe consider this :

http://oblige.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=511.0

Variety is the spice of life ;P! So the more prefabs the better crowbars82!

And finally, Where can I download your version? Would be really interested in trying it tbh. I need a new breath of fresh RNG air! ;P

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:41:26 AM »
Hi crowbars82 :)

I had a look at the gallery, most of the screenshots are very dark on my old CRT monitor and I could barely see anything, so there's not much I can say.  But I am impressed that you as a non-programmer were able to make all those changes, and generate the kind of maps you like.  I wish more people would dive into the code instead of asking for a feature ;D

I also must say that while I really appreciate offers to help, it is not what I want right now.

That is nothing personal! -- I just will not be ready for any kind of collaboration until I am satisfied that OBLIGE's algorithms (etc) are fully developed and actually producing decent maps.