Author Topic: A level to aspire to?  (Read 612 times)

andrewj

• Developer
A level to aspire to?
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
If you could pick a single level from a wad in idgames (or the IWADs) which you'd like OBLIGE to be able to recreate, what would it be, and why?

hetdegon

Re: A level to aspire to?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
I'd like something like Downtown but less abstract. As I mentioned in the past I'm a sucker for urban or suburban-style maps, but there aren't all that many man-made ones.
There was a really nice suburban one around, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I guess Happy Time Circus 2 also fits suburban theme, excluding the "clownspace" parts.
(Something like a large building a la The Raid would be fun too, but that'd require use of gzdoom portals...although that's more wishful thinking than answering your question)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
I have a bunch that would look neat, mostly because I like the design of these levels.

For Doom/Ultimate Doom:
E1M3, E1M4, E1M5, E1M7, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, E3M2, E3M6 and E4M4.

For Doom 2:
MAP03, MAP10, MAP11, MAP13, MAP14, MAP18, MAP23, MAP27 and MAP29.

ScooT9

• that guy who makes games
  • I make bad doom maps so i use oblige to gen them
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 04:39:52 AM »
E1M1, E1M7, MAP01, MAP04 and MAP13, because they're awesome.

EDIT: Also C1M1 from Freedoom.
Did you know that i also make games?
I'm making one in the doom engine, it's called "m invasion", go check it out on moddb!

Dante

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Since you're saying id games, I'd like to pick Doom 2's Map 06: The Crusher. I mean come on, who doesn't remember their first time squishing a giant spider-mech you hated so much from the first game, and finally got even :)?

But yeah, I would think it would be nice if Oblige had a checkbox for a 'gimmicks' system, rather than just pre-made wads to choose from for specific levels. Meaning only on these specific maps would have such a feature somewhere in the map, be it a giant column revealing a cyberdemon, or him and a spidermastermind start right next to each other, a giant crushing ceiling in level 6 in some area, and etc.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
When I first played Doom 2 it wasn't on UV skill, so in MAP06 there wasn't a spiderdemon to squish, it was just a bunch of hellknights.

Anyway, for this thread I was meaning any wad in the "idgames archive"
(see https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Idgames_archive), and a single map that distills your idea of great gameplay and architecture. Though many modern maps are so huge they could contain several maps of the IWADs ;)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
Memento Mori 2 MAP01 and MAP02 come to mind.

leileilol

• my sirt
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Deus Vult Map05 :P
Project Leader of etc., a free first person shooter based on etc. licensed under the etc. license

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
Deus Vult Map05 :P
Oh, that little map?  ;D

flyingdeath

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 05:48:41 AM »
The Sky May Be

Just kidding :P

My heart is still with classic doom maps, never played user maps that I enjoyed that much.

all episode 1 (the second half of e1m6, and all of e1m7 are best) , a lot of episode 4
I like map 5 on doom 2
Also some tricks and traps style maps would be impressive to see generated.
Thinking about it Attack on Master Levels was pretty sweet.

Not sure if this has been said (probably by me), but Serious Sam style maps, with extended warp-ins of enemies.

Almost forgot the why! These maps have good gun play and often the freedom to choose a path.
Enemies attack from many angles. Cool diverse secrets too.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »
Cheers everyone.

For me, I admire the maps of BTSX episode 1, such as the very first map (MAP01) which has a bit of everything: nice natural-ish outdoor areas, a long bridge over an large indoor slime area, blue key placed with a nice view and no need to backtrack once you get it, and its visually pleasing grungy-tech textures (and modified color palette).

zZaRDoZz

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »
It's not an I'd games wad, but CJ put together a masterful tc for the vaporware title *bastardos!* using 3dge a few years ago that had some great western style geometry.

mattbratt11

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
What about PWAD Levels such as Glaice's Maps of Chaos, Hell Revealed Duology, etc.