Author Topic: Changes i would like for the next version of OBLIGE  (Read 501 times)

Abashi76

Changes i would like for the next version of OBLIGE
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
I tried it out and it definitely needs changes, there are a lot of things i don't like about it. It has gotten better but there are a lot of problems.

0: I would like to see certain changes.

1: Add an option for custom textures. I don't like most of the custom textures and it would be nice to turn them off.

2: Add more possibilities for the boss stages. I noticed they were good boss stages but there should be more possibilities. Never use the same boss stage twice in one wad. Also, between e2m8 and e4m6: if its a boss map from 7.50, use the round green map for e2m8 and large castle map for e4m6 because that one is a lot harder.

3: Change the texture theme. Even when i choose tech base, it still uses textures from the other episodes of Doom 1. I havn't tried Doom 2 yet. Also stop using the same textures for teleporter rooms and doors constantly. Stop constantly using the same texture for stairway halls. Make the stairway halls vary in size. Add an option to change how many texture schemes used. They seem too random. Get rid of those textures with doors that require switches to open, instead use textures that are meant to be used with doors.

4: Allow an option to change architecture style, or make it episode themed. The architecture style is way too uniform. It needs to have more possibilities.

5: Add a sprite option separate from an item option. I don't know what item means. But it doesn't add enough decoration sprites such as lights, pillars, or corpses.

6: Add weapon options for the Chainsaw. Add weapon theme option : to allow episode based weapon placement for Doom 1 ; i don't know about Doom 2 ; but i hate how they place more powerful weapons too soon. Add an option for Armor placement. Also add the option for a Tyson map, did i use the right label? : i mean a level that you can kill all the enemies and finish the level using a beserk pack.

7: Add an option for the amount of detail in sectors. Adding sectors for light, computers, etc ...

8: Enemy theme option : allow the option to place certain type of enemies on certain maps based on episode without having to make a map one at a time ; especially for Doom 1. Stop putting enemies on these small platforms where they can shoot you ; just use cages instead. I noticed that 7.55 took out the zdoom marines, and i liked those.

9: Change the starting room : add a silver door for tech base maps, and a white teleporter floor for hell maps. Use the exit door and exit room more often, especially in Doom 1 style maps.

10:  I noticed that the hell levels usually made in episode 3 have a lot of nice detail. There are crosses, pillars with corpses, and nice wooden pillars. Use them in episode 4 too in case you use the episode themed option. I also just noticed there are a lot of good new features in 7.50, some of which i would like to import to my wad. Sometimes there is this nice small hallway with gray walls and light ceiling, and that i like a lot. Sometimes it also adds a nice key room, in a small square shaped room with computer panels as decoration. The 7.55 version added nice features for switches.

11: Re-add architecture styles from older versions. The one made in 2010 has some good architecture. Version 6.20 has more options, re-add those. The version 7.17 has better switches, besides switches that are always on computer panels; use those switches instead.  Also, re-add 3D floors because they looked awesome in the older versions.

12: Make it possible for all iwad textures to be used. Also, use different textures based on architecture. The large round like rooms that are over used in the 7.50 version tend to look good with blue computer textures, while outdoor areas should look good with certain city textures in Doom 2 although i havn't tried that yet. The 7.50 version does not build enough square shaped rooms, those look good with tech base textures. Also, the grayvine texture is used as a cave texture all the time, and it isn't. Also, hellish textures are used even if you set to build the map as a tech base themed map, that should be changed.

When will the next version come out?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:32:08 AM by Abashi76 »

Abashi76

Re: Changes i would like for the next version of OBLIGE
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
I saw a video of randomly generated maps using the version 3.57 and it was way better than the current version! Why did you make it so much worse? The older version doesn't work on my computer for some stupid reason. You should combine the version 3.57 with current version.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
People have different tastes.  Many people like the new version better than 3.57

It is odd that 3.57 does not work on your computer.  What happens when you try it?

For your question about the next release, the answer is here: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/doc_faq.html#next_release

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »
I saw a video of randomly generated maps using the version 3.57 and it was way better than the current version! Why did you make it so much worse? The older version doesn't work on my computer for some stupid reason. You should combine the version 3.57 with current version.

Are you speaking of heavily tweaked texture use, including texture and prefab edits?

Abashi76

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
People have different tastes.  Many people like the new version better than 3.57

It is odd that 3.57 does not work on your computer.  What happens when you try it?

For your question about the next release, the answer is here: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/doc_faq.html#next_release

They didn't give much information.

miketheratguy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
Out of curiosity what did you find so much better about 3.57?

Abashi76

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:23:39 AM »
Out of curiosity what did you find so much better about 3.57?

The detail in the architecture. Look up Doom Video Vault.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
I happen to be the guy who runs Doom Video Vault :)