Author Topic: Small maps from Extreme size setting  (Read 154 times)

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
Small maps from Extreme size setting
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:34:19 AM »
Occasionally 7.50 has produced very small maps even though the extreme size setting has been selected. (This of course is excluding the "Icon of Sin" MAP30 variants.) I've hesitated to report this as a bug until now because I seem to recall that earlier versions always generated a "Dead Simple" variant for every MAP07. However, recently this has manifested itself on a variety of map numbers and today it actually happened in three different full-game map sets generated. Is this just a random fluke of the algorithms (which I'll admit I know nothing about) or is it a genuine bug to be concerned about?

As always, thanks.

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Small maps from Extreme size setting
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
Sometimes the room-growing algorithm paints itself into a corner, and it becomes completely unable to add new rooms.  Mainly happens with the diagonal shapes.

For now, nothing can be done to fix this.  It will require support (code and prefabs) for room joiners which are a single seed wide.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
Re: Small maps from Extreme size setting
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
OK. Thanks. Well, I wouldn't necessarily call that a bug then. It sounds more like just something that's bound to happen occasionally with the version. As I said, I don't know much about algorithms and actual programming, but your description of it "painting itself into a corner" makes perfect sense when I imagine myself trying to plan rooms to fit into a given area as OBLIGE must do.

Thanks for the quick reply.