Author Topic: What needs to be done for Heretic support?  (Read 459 times)

TiZ

What needs to be done for Heretic support?
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
I think that Heretic's theming and gameplay mechanics would pair perfectly with procedural generation. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy roguelite Doom so much, but I think I'd enjoy roguelite Heretic even more. Being able to generate levels would probably help the Blasphemer project test their assets, too.

What all needs to be done to get Heretic working in OBLIGE?

crowbars82

Re: What needs to be done for Heretic support?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
Hi TiZ,

As far as I can work out you must go back to version 4.28 to generate Heretic maps, the level generator is much before Oblige 7.50 though as you can see from these screenshots, but still fun to have a razz round...

Shot one, Shot two and Shot three.

You'll need to get this version and I find GZDoom works good, latest version can be found here.

Extract the contents of gzdoom-bin-2-3-2-x64.zip into a folder, and put your HERETIC.WAD in there too. Unzip the oblige-428-win.zip into a folder and run Oblige.exe. Set the game to Heretic, play with the settings and Build the new WAD file. Once done, put the WAD file into the GZDoom folder and drag the new WAD over the gzdoom.exe to play it!

Good luck! :)

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
Main three things:

(1) ensure all the game definitions (in games/heretic folder) are up-to-date.  They are probably close to being usable, but will need double checking.

(2) make prefabs for Heretic.  All the current ones target DOOM, and use DOOM textures, flats, things and line specials.  Hence we need a basic set of prefabs which use Heretic textures (etc).  This will be the most time-consuming job.

(3) make titlepic generator work for Heretic, such as the new format for TITLEPIC lump, and color ranges in the Heretic palette.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:40 AM »
Extract the contents of gzdoom-bin-2-3-2-x64.zip into a folder, and put your HERETIC.WAD in there too. Unzip the oblige-428-win.zip into a folder and run Oblige.exe. Set the game to Heretic, play with the settings and Build the new WAD file. Once done, put the WAD file into the GZDoom folder and drag the new WAD over the gzdoom.exe to play it!

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I think it's useful information.

If you use a launcher like ZDL https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL you won't need to have all your wads and resources in the same folder as the sourceport. Just point the launcher to each of the items you want to load and play. This is particularly useful if you accumulate a lot of pwads. When a new version of the sourceport is released then you won't need to transfer everything from one folder to the next. :)

TiZ

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
Main three things:

(1) ensure all the game definitions (in games/heretic folder) are up-to-date.  They are probably close to being usable, but will need double checking.

(2) make prefabs for Heretic.  All the current ones target DOOM, and use DOOM textures, flats, things and line specials.  Hence we need a basic set of prefabs which use Heretic textures (etc).  This will be the most time-consuming job.

(3) make titlepic generator work for Heretic, such as the new format for TITLEPIC lump, and color ranges in the Heretic palette.

Thanks for the info. This might be a nice side project at some point, but I recently discovered HXRTC Project and that in combination with what Oblige can do now has got my roguelite itch hella scratched. :)