Author Topic: Arachnotron Ambush issue  (Read 189 times)

Herculine

Arachnotron Ambush issue
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
In 7.50 sometimes when a teleport ambush is triggered by picking up an important item and Arachnotrons are a part of the ambush they get "stucked" at the arrival point unable to move or attack and if more than one is involved they can actually form a column of Arachnotrons stuck marching in place on top of each other. I assume this is because their teleporter arrival point is being placed just slightly too close to a wall. It's a small detail and humorous to see, but I've seen it happen in at least 3 different maps in a generated Doom II megawad so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Otherwise, I have been consistently impressed by the maps produced by 7.50, so much to the point that I sometimes forget that they were randomly generated.

Thanks!

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Arachnotron Ambush issue
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »
Yeah the code does not know how much space is at a teleporter destination, and so there may not be enough room for the larger monsters (I think only arachnotrons are affected, but maybe mancubi too).

Herculine

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:15:24 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit slow to catch on. I just realized that I could possibly work around this the same way OBLIGE works with the Spider Mastermind, by reducing the width of them with a simple DeHackEd addition. Judging from the way the Arachnos look when I see them pile up as I described (the sprites don't appear to be actually intersecting with the walls) it should be a minor adjustment that will not otherwise adversely affect them.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »
Yep, that would be a usable work-around.

One thing to be careful about: thing sizes in DehackEd are multiplied by 65536.  Just in case you didn't know that already.

Herculine

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
Thanks for that info; I actually did not know that. However, I used WhackEd to make the change, which was shown as a 2-digit value in its interface, which then appeared in the actual patch as a 7-digit value, so hopefully WhackEd has done the proper math for me. If it turns out that the Arachnos are too skinny for me to hit with a BFG ball then I guess I'll know something went wrong LOL.