Author Topic: This is genius. Have some feedback!  (Read 278 times)

crowbars82

This is genius. Have some feedback!
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
Hi Andrew!

Oblige is brilliant. I stumbled on this a couple of months ago and have generated a bunch of WADs, playing around with all the settings and have been having great fun. I use the Brutal Doom mod and sometimes Project Brutality as well (which is way more hectic to say the least), but your level generator is seriously cool.

I took a moment to look through the previous versions of Oblige and can see that you have been at this for a while. The latest version however is definitely a milestone in the eyes of generation algorithms! The caves are really good and looking at how it works in that post from Xion350 is amazing to watch.

Some feedback would include the following:
  • Using Brutal Doom or GZDoom in general, because you can jump, it is possible to jump through the windows and skip parts of the maps. Maybe if the windows were a little higher just out of jumping range this would work well.
  • Sometimes the player starts in a room of absolute chaos. One of the maps I was faced with 10 Revenants, 3 Mancubus and several Zombie guards and I had no choice but to spam out IDDQD just for that room!
  • There are not that many barrels around.
  • I like the ideas that I have read in other posts about if people could make a bunch of prefabs, working by a set of rules as to how big/small they can be by working from a base template. I would be more than happy to make a load of decorative parts if it were possible to chuck them in a folder and Oblige will use them based on the themed settings, be it Mars base, outdoor trees or hellish looking prefabs.
  • An option for overall lighting would be sweet. I am playing using the Fog Effects mod and Creepy Atmosphere which add a lot to the game, and having maps that are darker for spook-factor would be really cool.
  • The teleporter generation is great, however sometimes a bunch of enemies will hear you shooting from another room, and by the time you get to that room via a teleporter, the area is sometimes absolutely swamped with enemies. Perhaps if the enemies that are based around teleporter areas could all be set to their ambush mode, it might make things less chaotic... although powering up the BFG and heading into the teleporters quick can be a fun challenge to clear the awaiting riot!
  • Sometimes the generator will create some low walls that can be jumped over to skip parts of the map. A couple of times I ended up on the other side of a keycard door without the key after jumping into an area, nothing that can't be fixed by restarting the map. Similar to the windows, is it possible to make it so that the player cannot traverse through the windows or over certain walled areas using that invisible boundary visportal thingy?
Other that these suggestions, I will keep a constant eye on your development because I find it fascinating how far you have come with making this all work! "Oblige_1567773126.wad" has finished now so that is tonight sorted out! Great work man, look forward to seeing any future dev!  8)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: This is genius. Have some feedback!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
I would just turn off jump because Oblige was not made for jumping in mind. The windows/wall edges are at 32 height from the ground and any higher you could not take shots at enemies from the other side, especially at a lower elevation.

crowbars82

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »
Cheers Glaice, this makes total sense! I like being able to do the flying kick in Brutal Doom, so I'll leave on jumping and attempt to use willpower for the windows, haha! Although... I wouldn't have been able to complete one of the maps without a particular handy window to save me from a Cyberdemon chasing me down!

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
That and locking yourself in from a certain area because you skipped a key or switch.

hetdegon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:40:56 AM »
It's not so bad, I jump around all the time because I like to make it flashy and never skip levels or enter unwanted areas. Only the player is guilty of misusing the maps, no need to add artificial locks to them. (besides why would anyone generate maps to skip them, is beyond me. 100% or nothing!)

Herculine

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:46:18 AM »
I'm a bit of a purist in that I don't use jumping or crouching, so the maps 7.50 has been producing for me have been fine in that regard thus far. I've only seen one instance in one map where I saw a powerup below me and was able to simply walk off an edge to get it, only to find myself trapped in the area because the intended entry to that area was a box with an enemy on it that could not be lowered from the back side. But that's only happened once in dozens of maps so I don't think it warrants a bug report at this time.

I have nothing against using monster randomizer mods and the like, but we have to keep in mind that Doom was never designed for things like flying Karate kicks to be involved in the gameplay. I think it would be extremely unreasonable of us to expect Oblige to take such mods into account, including things like sourceport jumping. Version 7.50 has sincerely impressed me with maps that feel like a natural part of the original game and I for one would not want to change that just to accommodate what I like to call "look at what I can do" mods.

hetdegon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Dunno, it doesn't need to do anything, vanilla-compatible maps are fine as they are now. Gameplay mods are normally intended to run in any map interchangeably. That some of them allow you to fly or throw black holes, eh, it's up to the player to skip a map. And besides the maps are being generated to play them, so the skipping maps thing is like buying a coffee and throwing it down the drain, you can do it but why.
I just happen to hate invisible walls, they obliterate immersion.