Author Topic: DeHackEd Music Question  (Read 213 times)

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
DeHackEd Music Question
« on: January 11, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
I think the music randomizer in version 7.50 works fine, but just for fun I wanted to see if I could edit the DeHackEd file music list with SLADE. After doing so GZDoom would then play none of the music tracks and the console showed an error that the music track name from my .pk3, followed by a triangular symbol like a "play" button, could not be found.

Is there some invisible code in the DeHackEd file that makes altering it once OBLIGE has generated it impossible? I ask because I tried looking it up in the DoomWorld forums and the general consensus there was that DeHackEd patches could not alter music and a MAPINFO file should be used instead. For maximum sourceport compatability, however, I'd like to figure out what went wrong with the DeHackEd file.

It's not a major issue, of course. As I said, I was just tinkering for fun. I like to learn what I can about editing mods. Thanks.

andrewj

• Developer
Re: DeHackEd Music Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »
DeHackEd can only change music from one 6-letter name, like "RUNNIN", to another 6-letter name, like "STALKS".

These 6 letter names get preprended with "D_", such as "D_STALKS", and then a lump with that name is looked for in the loaded wads, and that lump must contain MUS or MIDI format music (though some source ports support OGG or MP3 formats).

DeHackEd cannot use long filenames for this, like something in a PK3 file -- you would indeed need to use a MAPINFO lump instead.

Herculine

• Doom Kitty
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »
Apologies... I should have been more specific.

The .pk3 I mentioned is a music replacer. It uses all the default music names with the "D_" prefix. In the example I mentioned, the DeHackEd music list generated by OBLIGE worked fine with the .pk3, but when I edited it with SLADE, changing "RUNNIN = STALKS" to "RUNNIN = DDTBLU" the entire list somehow became invalidated and for every map the music would not play and I received the error message I described. I thoroughly checked to be certain that I had not misspelled anything, and when highlighting the DeHackEd text with the editor afterwards there was an added space following each line that I had not added and, when removed, was added again after saving the file.

That's why I asked if there was something "invisible" involved. I'm no programmer and only understand code to a certain extent.

Also to clarify, I'm in no way suggesting that the problem here is with OBLIGE. If I had to bet money on it I'd wager that it is some sort of limitation of DeHackEd or the SLADE editor. I just wanted to pose the question here in case maybe this has been heard of before.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
I don't know what could cause that.

I suggest taking the issue up with the SLADE3 developer (sirjuddington, if I remember correctly).