Author Topic: Crazy idea: Prefab rooms made by people  (Read 393 times)

Demios

Crazy idea: Prefab rooms made by people
« on: December 17, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
Ho great Andrew, think it would be possible to make a room in Doom builder with un-Textured walls to signal possible room entrance then put these as prefabs? If this could be doable, people could create TONS of rooms to add to the current generator and make the experience extremely varied, prettier and would help give more sense to the levels. For example, you could have barracks, med-bay, armory , computer mainframe (for base), streets, houses , apartments, stores, business (for town) sacrificial altar/pit , evil chapel , baron of hell/cyber demon throne room, mastermind Lair , Arachnotron/Revenant/Mancubus cyber Facility , torture chambers, possibilities are almost endless!! anyhoo, if you happen to be interested I could even make a basic set so you can focus on the REAL meat of the work a.k.a. coding =].

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Crazy idea: Prefab rooms made by people
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:55 AM »
Hello Demios,

I have experimented with using large (room-size) prefabs to make levels, V5 of OBLIGE was using that method.

It is a method that can work, as long as you make lots and lots of room prefabs so that the maps don't get too repetitive.

The latest DOOM game uses a similar method for its "SnapMap" system.  I think the disadvantage of such a method is that it always feels like you are travelling inside a series of closed areas, and these areas never interact with other areas.  E.g. I don't think SnapMap lets you make windows, or lets you create proper outdoor areas.

So with OBLIGE, I am more interesting in finding algorithms that can create the rooms itself, using small-ish prefab pieces (like a section of wall, or a ceiling light, or a window).  This is a lot harder than joining together big prefabs, but I like the challenge :)

Demios

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:38:43 AM »
I see your point but still, wouldn't it be better to mix the 2 types together? If you make it so each room is used once maximum per wad or per level (one of the generator option) it would stop them from being too repetitive, also you could simply put the Room prefab as an option so people who like the room prefab let them generate in their levels and the people who doesn't like them to skip them entirely and make "Vanilla" Oblige levels. Also, for the Doom 2016 snap map the big problem is that they can't EVEN build a room to be added to the list, so they are already MILES behind us hehe ;P.

ScooT9

• I make bad doom maps so i use oblige to gen them
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:15:03 AM »
That's an awesome idea.