Author Topic: OBLIGE 7.50 released!  (Read 3777 times)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: OBLIGE 7.50 released!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
Got it, thanks. :)

Boingo

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
Hi.  I just heard about the new release.

How is it for modding?

Can I create files that allow custom monsters (the ones I use in my mods), weapon types, and structures (like a common exit room) to be generated?

i.e. I have one mod based around Wolfenstein 3D, which has various NAZI characters, and always exits at an elevator (like Wolfenstein 3D).  I also have a Chex Quest based mod that uses custom shaped doors and teleporters.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
Check Oblige's directories, there are templates for custom monsters and weapons. I'm not so sure on brand new structures but I know you can edit the prefabs with the prefab_remap in LUA in themes.lua.

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
Do these come in blue and green flavors too? I forgot if they did.

Also, you're getting some advertisement in two Doom Facebook groups, one I have admin privileges in which I stickied. :) The second group has an overall positive response to it as well.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
Can I create files that allow custom monsters (the ones I use in my mods), weapon types, and structures (like a common exit room) to be generated?
There is a tutorial on the website for adding your own monsters, and there is a a template for adding new weapons too.

I have not documented how to create your own prefabs yet (like exit closets or doorways), but it can be done.  The system is fairly stable now, so I should do that soon.

One issue for your mod is that there is no way to force the exit to be a closet instead of a free-standing switch (or even make it occur as much as possible).  Even with extra code it would be difficult to completely guarantee that an exit would be a closet.

hetdegon

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

Also, you're getting some advertisement in two Doom Facebook groups, one I have admin privileges in which I stickied. :) The second group has an overall positive response to it as well.
Pretty sure I've seen at least blue ones around.
I've been spreading the word as well since I started compiling from git, and now that it's actually released I am hearing random people replying positively, too. Stuff like "it's more fun" and "large maps are way less generic" in general.
I only play large/extreme maps and I totally agree. Traps, secrets and battles are pretty well-placed now.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 11:21:50 PM »
@hetdegon: good to know that people are liking this version.

No, easy enough to add them though.

flyingdeath

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 01:10:12 AM »
Talking of oblige publicity, what I would love to see is a competitive speed run between top doom speed runners on an oblige wad none of them had practiced on. Not that I would have any idea how one would organise such an event.

Concerning map one guard monster usage; I kinda feel that it should perhaps be influenced by the map size. On a small first map, it is weird to be facing such big monsters so quickly, but if you make a full wad of huge+ maps, a few tough monsters make much more sense on the first map.
Maybe adding a special case for map one (or early maps in general), when the map is small, would be the most efficient solution.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
Concerning map one guard monster usage; I kinda feel that it should perhaps be influenced by the map size. On a small first map, it is weird to be facing such big monsters so quickly, but if you make a full wad of huge+ maps, a few tough monsters make much more sense on the first map.
Yeah, I think an adjustment based on level size would be an improvement.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
BTW, I have updated the stickied "Possible Games" thread, with more realistic chances of what games would be targetted next.

As said in the FAQ, development is concentrated purely on the DOOM family of games right now. But the most likely candidates for other games will be games based on the DOOM engine, such as Heretic and Hexen.

flyingdeath

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
I just finished the coolest map from oblige.

Right at the start there was a secret invisibility. I used it to run through the level disturbing very few monsters, navigating through various teleports. As it was running out, I found another secret invisibility, and kept going. I soon found the end (almost entirely surrounded by achviles) and finished the map without firing a shot. There were no locked doors of any kind. Awesome stealth map.

I assume this was a fluke?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
I have updated the compatibility list for Doom/Ultimate Doom because one of the wall prefabs (TEKGREN1/TEKGREN3) shows up as in the screenshot below.

EDIT: Still investigating this texture phenomena.
EDIT 2: I believe it's TEKGREN3!

I have changed it to this:
Code: [Select]
  TEKGREN1 = { t="TEKWALL5",   f="CEIL5_1" }
  TEKGREN3 = { t="TEKWALL2",   f="CEIL5_1" }

That and some of the room themes that use TEKWALL4 rarely have the TEKWALL4 floor detail showing. These themes would be tech_Computer and tech_Hallway. I just put in the altered code you used for Doom2's tech_VeryTekky room theme:

Code: [Select]
    wall_groups =
    {
      PLAIN = 90
      mid_band = 25
      mid_band2 = 10
      lite1 = 5
      lite2 = 15
      torches1 = 15
    }

Something else I've noticed is that Doom/Ultimate Doom's generated episode names were not showing up but their original names.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:13:41 PM by Glaice »

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »
I have updated the compatibility list for Doom/Ultimate Doom because one of the wall prefabs (TEKGREN1/TEKGREN3) shows up as in the screenshot below.

EDIT: Still investigating this texture phenomena.
EDIT 2: I believe it's TEKGREN3!
Instead of changing the fake TEKGREN materials, I have fixed this by disabling the TEKGREN3 picture itself.

I applied your TEKWALL4 fix to the "tech_Computer" room theme.

Something else I've noticed is that Doom/Ultimate Doom's generated episode names were not showing up but their original names.
Probably an oversight somewhere, I will look into it....

scrooloose

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 03:46:15 AM »
Excellent news! Me and my cousins and bro have a weekly doom session and have played through a couple of wads from the previous version.

Looking forward to trying this shit out! Cheers man :)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
Instead of changing the fake TEKGREN materials, I have fixed this by disabling the TEKGREN3 picture itself.

That also works but seeing another wall detail in Doom 1 is always nice tho so that's why I didn't dig in the LUA file, hence the material change :)