Author Topic: OBLIGE 7.50 released!  (Read 3612 times)

andrewj

• Developer
OBLIGE 7.50 released!
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:19:21 PM »
I am delighted to announce a new official public release: OBLIGE 7.50

I guess most people here have been following the progress and know what is in this release, but a summary of the changes is here: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/doc_history.html#changes750

Download page is here: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/i_download.html

Linux users: you can either build from source, or use Wine to run the Windows package (which worked for me when I tried it a few days ago).

Thanks to all the people who have tested stuff, provided feedback or bug reports, and generally being supportive.

As this is an official release, please post bug reports in the Bug Reports section of this forum.  Check the sticky thread there about the Known Issues in 7.50 first.

I hope everyone enjoys the maps which this generator can create :)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: OBLIGE 7.50 released!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
Looks like I'll have some good time with this :)

kop9000

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
on your website for some reason, is a link to download "oblige 6.20" rather than "oblige 7.50"

Inferno

• Banned too many times from Doomworld
    • Steam account
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
This is really good right now!

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
on your website for some reason, is a link to download "oblige 6.20" rather than "oblige 7.50"
It looks OK for me.

Try reloading the page, your web browser might be showing a stale copy of the page.

Dante

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
I went ahead and played a few maps already and must say the refined new system make it look GREAT! So far I have a few requests for the next revision;

1. Can you have OBLIGE remember the last used seed and implement a checkbox to use it? As for if you just want to change one minor thing but liked how it turned out last time.

2. Will you reintroduce the 'Progressive' monster option, and possibly add that option for the Strength field too, or will you manually rebalance how monsters are distributed around maps? Right now you can start map 1 in front of hell knights and revanents even with scarce weak monsters set.

3. Have you tried to see what it looks like if the 'sky generator' algorithm did title screens, but with a bit more design to it?

4. Who do you think won the first debate?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »
Having the title/interpic images use the original truecolor TGA files instead of downsampling to the game's 256 color palette for ZDoom based ports since some of the pictures downsampled using heavy greens or blues come out a bit ugly.

I see the idea doing this for software rendering ports but GL ports should be able to see the full range of colors.

I posted the same thing in the thread on Doomworld, just rewording it here.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »
1. Can you have OBLIGE remember the last used seed and implement a checkbox to use it? As for if you just want to change one minor thing but liked how it turned out last time.
It is a nice idea -- noted.

Right now you can start map 1 in front of hell knights and revanents even with scarce weak monsters set.
That should not be possible (except for CRAZY strength) -- can you extract the settings from that wad and post it for me to try?

Under normal conditions, monsters naturally get stronger as the levels progress, so "Progressive" for strength is not needed.

And it seems quite useless to me to have barely any monsters in the first few maps, and be barely able to move because there are so many monsters in the last few maps, which is what "Progressive" would do -- but I don't rule it out either.

3. Have you tried to see what it looks like if the 'sky generator' algorithm did title screens, but with a bit more design to it?
It is not possible atm, because sky generating code is separate from title generating code (in C++), but I am planning to improve all the image generating stuff soon, and I definitely want to experiment with generating the backgrounds for title pics.

4. Who do you think won the first debate?
I'm an Australian and I didn't watch it, but I got the impression that neither candidate delivered a knock-out punch or made a big faux pas.

Quote from: Glaice
Having the title/interpic images use the original truecolor TGA
Yeah, noted.

flyingdeath

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:36 PM »
I also get tough monsters on the first map quite often. I wonder if it is something to do with the choice of engine. I have no particular reason to suspect that it is though.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
Monsters which guard a key or exit will be tougher than the rest of the monsters in the level, however they should not appear in the start room like Dante said.

flyingdeath

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:11 AM »
It is possible to have the start location close enough to a key room that you can start map one fighting pretty tough monsters. I assume that's what is going on here.

Dante

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
Ok so I made another example wad with the seed '1136262815', and I do get tougher monsters in the start levels. I have the amount set to hordes, but the strength set to weak. I also have weapons, ammo, and pickups set to less and scarce. Normally this would mean that I would have to rely on killing lots of zombies in the short run to build up my ammo stock so I can take on the tougher enemies in later levels. But right now that isn't the case for me until I figure out why.

I still don't have everything configured yet as I have in 6.20, so maybe setting monster variety setting can help my case. I tweak Level Settings as I go along but I expect that many settings there would be tuned similarly but also different than in I have for 6.20.

All in all I find 7.50 to be much more classic Doom styled compared to 6.20, which I modded into an ultra-realist style in case I want to run any total conversions. The return of some of the v2 prefabs is a warm welcome. Will there be any prefabs returning from v6, or other plans to make new ones?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
Were the key podiums meant to have a slight light increase or just forgot to fix brightness?

Also secret3.wad MAP02 used with the flickering light still has the door set at action 1 and somehow a monster closed it while inside it, making it tricky/difficult to get them to open the door again.

Suggestion: Change it to action 118 (D1 door open stay fast) to prevent this.

Also an idea: Module/addon to disable usage of FreeDoom Icon of Sin wall textures?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:43:56 PM by Glaice »

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
Ok so I made another example wad with the seed '1136262815', and I do get tougher monsters in the start levels. I have the amount set to hordes, but the strength set to weak.
I tried it and the first level contained two cacodemons and two spectres in the start room, with a shotgun.  Next room had a yellow key guarded by two hell-knights.  Final room was a cave with an exit guarded by two revenants, and had lots of lost souls in it.

I agree that TWO of the hell knights and revenants is too much for the first level of "weak" strength, and maybe revenant is too strong a monster to appear that early.  So I will review that code.

Tip about ammo setting: NORMAL is fairly easy, enough for a beginner player, and LESS is the exact amount that Oblige thinks a good player will need.  SCARCE will often not be enough.  Oblige knows that some monsters drop ammo and takes that into account.

And yes there will be more prefabs in the future.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
Were the key podiums meant to have a slight light increase or just forgot to fix brightness?
Yes key podiums are meant to be lit up.

I updated secret3 to not use action 1.

Also an idea: Module/addon to disable usage of FreeDoom Icon of Sin wall textures?
I will tell you how you can make the addon:

(1) unpack no_hang_lamp.pk3 addon somewhere away from Oblige
(2) remove the "prefabs/decor/hang_lamp.lua" file  -- we don't need need any lua code
(3) rename "hang_lamp.wad" to "freedoom_face.wad" (that is a mostly empty wad, so the patches that normally get added into wads will not be added)
(4) zip it back up into a PK3 file, ensuring the folders are still in there (i.e. it has "games" folder at top, "doom" underneath that, "data" underneath that, etc)
(5) done, stick the PK3 in addons/ folder in Oblige