Author Topic: [NO BUG] Levels' names do not show up in Automap.  (Read 3892 times)

Dante

Re: [6.20] Possible Bug? Levels' names do not show up in Automap.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
"Execution could not continue.

File C:/gzdoom-bin-1-8-09/ULTDOM2.PK3 is overriding core lump actors/doom/possessed.txt."
I find that a very strange and surprising decision of the (G)ZDoom developers.  Whole point of wads and pk3s is to allow someone to supply replacements for existing lumps / files.  To simply refuse to run because a "core" file has been modified, without even loading it, borders on the ridiculous.

I'm sure there is a reason for it, but still..... refusing to run is pretty drastic...

As much as I find that annoying myself more than anything, I can understand what the developers might have intended by doing this. Perhaps this is a security measure with an oversight to negate mods that may contain 'malicious' code, though I've known no such examples for GZDoom's case.

What I find really odd is upon editing GZDoom.pk3 will no longer show the pwads' correct map names in automap. A bug that arbitrary should be left to the G/ZDoom devs to figure out. What this might have to do with their decision to eschew core file overriding I have no clue, but I can understand if that could be the case.

In any case, my next project will be modernizing the mod's main code to the DECORATE.txt format starting with the newest version of GZDoom. I can then possibly release the entire mod as one .pk3 file.

De-M-oN

Re: [NO BUG] Levels' names do not show up in Automap.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:24 AM »
I highly assume they just want to prevent people doing things like you did.

They want that you use decorate and not edit the core. There is just no reason to edit the core. And without editing the core you can anytime get rid of your mod without replacing the gzdoom files everytime.

And of course: If you want to spread the mod - no one wants to replace gzdoom files. They would want (me inclusive) that you do a own wad/pk3 like every other person does.