Author Topic: [NO BUG] Levels' names do not show up in Automap.  (Read 4153 times)

Dante

[NO BUG] Levels' names do not show up in Automap.
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »
I'm using GZDoom 1.8.09 and I don't see the correct names that would be from 'naming.lua' in the automap. I have it set to display names in the automap itself, but I only see stock Doom 2 names instead.

If this help, I have a custom mod running that I refer internally as "Ultimate Doom 2". It uses music from the Playstation Dooms which I have opted to define them using a custom 'MapInfo.txt' instead of renaming them to their corresponding Doom 2 names (I do not know their order). The syntax looks like this:

(excerpt from MapInfo.txt)

map map01 lookup HUSTR_1 (<-- according to ZDoom's wiki, "lookup HUSTR_1" will find the level's name in the corresponding lump file)
music 01 (<-- this refers to "01.ogg" which I have renamed the first music from PSX Doom. I have music for all 31 maps.)
intermusic D_INTER
next "map02"
sky1 sky1 (<-- I don't remember why this is naming is redundant, but if I left this line blank, skies will not render. However, skies have no issue for me so I left it this way.)

If this isn't a bug for 6.20, did I do something with GZDoom here? If it currently is not implemented in 6.20, will it be for the next release? If anyone is familiar with GZDoom's database, I'd appreciate the help immensely.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:34:01 PM by andrewj »

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
Re: [6.20] Possible Bug? Levels' names do not show up in Automap.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
Are you running a mod with a DEHACKED lump in it, I used to have the very same problems when I used to use Brutal Doom (which I no longer do).

Dante

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
None of my mods utilize anything DEHACKED related. However I am familiar with G/ZDoom's DECORATE functions as I have modified 'possessed.txt' within GZDoom.pk3.

If something can be done using DECORATE, I'll either have to update either 'ULTDOM2.pk3' (my mod's main file) or GZDoom.pk3. For some reason GZDoom no longer allows file overriding (ie. 'possessed.txt' in 'ULTDOM2.pk3/actors/doom') which limits me to modifying files directly into GZDoom.pk3 itself.

I have GZDoom set to display map names to 'Not For Hubs'.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Firstly make sure you have the OBLIGE Engine setting is set to "ZDoom" or "GZDoom" -- the DEHACKED lump containing the names is not added when the Engine is set to "Limit Removing".

Otherwise I don't know -- it is possible that using MAPINFO means the (G)ZDoom does not handle the string replacements in a DEHACKED lump.  Ask at the ZDoom forums.

De-M-oN

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »
It definitely works.

See here. On this video I switch to automap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxlx_Yq2PY&hd=1

Dante

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »
I tried running GZDoom with just 'random.wad' (I call all Oblige pwads that), no other pk3 or pwad files, and the bug still happens. Three possibilities I can come up with. One, GZDoom 1.8.09 does not support the lookup function for pwad files. Two, editing GZDoom.pk3 did something to it that cannot be reversed (I edited possessed.txt, and that's it). Three, MAPINFO syntax does a lookup to GZDoom's internal string database instead of the pwad file being used.

Other than that I have no idea. However, I double checked Oblige to make sure the source port was in fact set to 'GZDoom'. I might try setting it to just 'ZDoom' if that makes any difference.

Edit#1: After reproducing the bug, I have determined that editing 'GZDoom.pk3' does in fact screw with the string database somehow. All you have to do it insert a modified file (possessed.txt) and you will no longer see "Loaded Experiment" as the MAP01 title. This means I have to choose between modifying GZDoom.pk3, and make whatever mods I want, or I can see map names in the automap and not play the Doom I want. Since GZDoom no longer supports file overriding using .pk3, I'll opt for the first option.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:26:15 AM by Dante »

De-M-oN

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
Since GZDoom no longer supports file overriding using .pk3

What do you mean by that?

Dante

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
Since GZDoom no longer supports file overriding using .pk3

What do you mean by that?

What I meant by that was this:

"Execution could not continue.

File C:/gzdoom-bin-1-8-09/ULTDOM2.PK3 is overriding core lump actors/doom/possessed.txt."

This would happen because GZDoom no longer allows you to override files with the same name, therefore subverting the old version with an updated one. This is common practice with mods for Quake 3 and Doom 3. For this very reason I had deliberately stayed behind many versions of GZDoom until I felt compelled to use later versions with features I found useful.

At this point this has become a GZDoom bug dilemma and nothing to do with Oblige. Unless GZDoom can fix this, I don't consider this to be a major enough issue to investigate any further.

De-M-oN

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
For what you need this file edited?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

Make your own wad file. Why you have to edit internal files?

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »
Why would you edit a core gzdoom.pk3 file in the first place?

De-M-oN

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
yes - that's what I was wondering about.

Dante

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »
Why would you edit a core gzdoom.pk3 file in the first place?

The original approach of the mod did not start out like this. It eventually became this overtime and has been for the last several years with no issues I couldn't fix myself. This topic is about an observation I have made days ago when I pondered why I haven't been seeing the map names in the automap (I had them turned off). Other than this odd glitch, my mod works 100% without issue.

Still, I figured I'd have some explaining to do about my modding antics. I modded GZDoom the same exact way you would make a mod for Quake 3 or Doom 3. By extracting a core file, modifying it, and placing it into a new archive you could effectively modify anything you wanted and still retain the originals. id Software normally designs their games in this fashion so they can patch data files this way.

Keep in mind this was circa 2007 when this was happening. Fast forward into just a few years later (I think around 2010ish). Somewhere down the line of GZDoom's development they have stopped this convenience for me. This was a serious roadblock for me. Since I am of the straggler type, I held out on future releases of GZDoom until one feature was worth converting to the new versions. That feature? Textured automap. I loved that feature from Doom 64. But to have that meant I must make changes to GZDoom.pk3 directly from now on, and just backup the files I wanted to modify.

Now I'm not one to overemphasize on hacks to the code base just to get what I want, but when the changes are minimal itself and still achieve my goal, it comes down to the choice between "do I mod it in myself, or use someone elses' dependancies?"

What mod could be so worth risking the overall integrity of a game's archive, no matter how small? The mod itself has been retitled "The Ultimate Doom 2" for a reason. But to go in depth into details about it would require a new thread about it, and that would be selfish of me. If there's enough curiosity for it I can release it on request.

De-M-oN

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
Now I'm not one to overemphasize on hacks to the code base just to get what I want, but when the changes are minimal itself and still achieve my goal, it comes down to the choice between "do I mod it in myself, or use someone elses' dependancies?"

There is still no reason to edit the core.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_inheritance

Dante

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks for that interesting find indeed. As much as I messed with DECORATE itself after all these years, I was unaware of the simple fact you could use it in a 'DECORATE.txt' file. Imagine that. I'll check it out later tonight.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
"Execution could not continue.

File C:/gzdoom-bin-1-8-09/ULTDOM2.PK3 is overriding core lump actors/doom/possessed.txt."
I find that a very strange and surprising decision of the (G)ZDoom developers.  Whole point of wads and pk3s is to allow someone to supply replacements for existing lumps / files.  To simply refuse to run because a "core" file has been modified, without even loading it, borders on the ridiculous.

I'm sure there is a reason for it, but still..... refusing to run is pretty drastic...