Author Topic: Extrafloors  (Read 663 times)

labmonkey999

Extrafloors
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »
I was wondering about the extrafloors function mentioned in this blog post http://oblige.sourceforge.net/blog_mar2008.html because it seems like it was pretty well developed by that point. No one seems to be making wads with 3d floors considering a few source ports have been supporting it for a while now and if Oblige could create some levels with them it would freak my geek way out.  :o

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Extrafloors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »
Hehe.

Well I haven't tested the Extrafloor creation in a while, dunno if it is currently working, but it shouldn't take a huge amount of work to fix it at any rate.

The bigger question is how to use them well.  Decorative use is one thing (e.g. stairs with gaps underneath them, that won't be hard).  But the coolest usage will be walkways over other stuff in a room, 3D bridges above 3D bridges, etc, and that's a bit trickier :P

labmonkey999

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
I think it was in Oblige 2 where the level would branch off and come back to a previous room with a balcony construction. Could you not replicate that except have it extend as a bridge to the other side of the room (or to an empty wall as an L shape) and create another room from that point?

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:58:20 AM »
Heh in Oblige 2 it would be easier, it would work just as you described.

In Oblige 3 the rooms are connected first, and height information is done later (as each room is visited).  Hence you don't enough information in the connection phase to know whether a 3D bridge crossing a room makes sense or not.

There is also the possible problem where you could jump off a bridge and get somewhere you shouldn't be able to get (because the room below is accessed by a key you haven't got yet).

Of course there are solutions, just needs some more thought.