Author Topic: A possible idea when generating maps..  (Read 711 times)

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
A possible idea when generating maps..
« on: September 27, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
When it comes to generating levels, there has to be a better way of producing a megawad that follows the same way that the original games do (Doom has E1 and E2 in techbase themes while E3 and E4 are hell themed. Doom2 has tech for 1-11, urban for 12-20, hell for 21-30 and the secret levels in wolf theme) without doing seperate megawads, cutting them up and using them.

For example, I made both episode 1 and 2 progressive but made monster count normal for E1 and more for E2, while I made E3 and E4 both large and hordes (E3M1 has over 1100 monsters alone!). Atop this, I made E1 restricted to the E1 monsters only, heh.

Just some ideas since I don't know jack shit about LUA coding from scratch...I am pretty sure a module could be produced by chance from this.

andrewj

• Developer
Re: A possible idea when generating maps..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:21:34 AM »
I dunno, I don't want to force the themes to follow the original games.  One reason is the ability to add custom themes -- they would then never get used if the themes were hard-coded like that.

Yes a module could probably do it.  At the very least I'll make a note in the Wish-List, since I'm not against the idea, though it personally doesn't bother me as it is now.