Author Topic: OBLIGE 4.28 RELEASED  (Read 1599 times)

andrewj

• Developer
OBLIGE 4.28 RELEASED
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:09:25 AM »
I have just made the full release of OBLIGE v4.28 8)
(you may need to reload the web pages to see the changes)

There is also a new section on the web site for a Modding Guide, which so far only contains a single tutorial -- adding new monsters.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, and everyone else who gave constructive feedback, reported bugs, etc....

I will probably keep working on OBLIGE, there are some ideas I want to experiment with, and I want the rooms to have some interesting stuff going on.  The same vision that I had five years ago -- that a random level generator can create levels genuinely worth playing -- that is still there, and while this version is no closer to that goal, it's something I still want to try to achieve it.

psicomaniaco

Re: OBLIGE 4.28 RELEASED
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:54:07 AM »
DUDE, I love you!!
I really do!
No, really!
I just fell in love with you. :)

I really love Oblige.  I've been using it since version 0.97, and I'm really impressed with what you where able to acomplish. I created more whan 10 megawads for Doom2 using version 4.26 WIP, and played them all. I can say that most of those megawads where more fun than 95% of the man-made wads out there. And believe-me, I've played more than 100,000 Doom 2 levels to date! :)

I'm gonna test version 4.28 now. :)

Thanks again. :)

EDIT: BTW, what where the changes since 4.26 WIP?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:06:51 AM by psicomaniaco »

enhas

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »
I keep getting "No such room theme" errors when trying to make levels for Ultimate Doom. No such problems with Doom II though.
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
@psicomaniaco: thanks.

Not much changed since the last WIP, there are secret exits for some games, and definitions for monsters/weapons/pickups moved the 'id' field into them (instead of in ENTITIES).

@enhas: the hours of testing I did the other day was for nothing, dammit, because I searched the logs for the wrong keyword ::).  Anyway I will fix that problem, test everything properly, and re-upload new packages.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:03:19 PM by andrewj »

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:07:02 AM »
OK, new packages have been uploaded which fix the DOOM 1 and Ultimate DOOM support.

Glaice

• Contributor
    • Chris's video vault
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Awesome, will be jumping on this today and will give my thoughts after some fun.

NeuralStunner

• Green Rupee
  • Don't spend it all in one place.
    • NullSphere
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
Beats the crud out of 3. :P Notably: No longer having the diagonal indents in walls at every block junction, and texture offsets seem better. Also, secret and powerup support are superb.

DooM (1/2) maps are fantastic! Looking though I can see some great new calculation features, like infighting. Gameplay-wise it's giving some neat results.

Unfortunately Heretic support seems incomplete. Not seeing any powerups, no artifacts at all other than the occasional Flask. Also, I think the Firemace should be ineligible for a starter weapon, since it has a chance of not appearing at all. (It sucks anyway, wouldn't hurt to give it a low chance overall.) Themes are looking pretty good, though.

Glaice

• Contributor
    • Chris's video vault
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
Something that perplexes me is the placement of Arch-Viles on maps when using More or Hordes amount, especially on the first handful of maps despite set to Scarce.

Is that what "Traps" is (Set to Heaps) or is it something else that is placing them?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:38:34 PM by obligedoomchris »

Krawa

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
This weekend we play / played an Oblige Heretic wad for ZDaemon Session and now I realized there is a new version released.
Looking forward to the new version, so it will not be the last Oblige ZDaemon Session  :)
Screenshots

enhas

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
A few things about the new version:

- Crazy monster toughness doesn't seem to override monster level, like it should. I played a whole Ultimate Doom wad and the monsters seemed to be the same strength as they would usually be (ie. no Barons until later levels).

- Psychedelic mode has a few issues. Exit signs / doors are replaced now where they weren't before, and the bars in monster cages are replaced by solid-looking walls. This makes it so you can't see what's inside them shooting at you, but they can clearly see you.
CROWD: What do you want?
CROWD: When do you want it?

Glaice

• Contributor
    • Chris's video vault
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
Does anyone get frequent placement of Arch-Viles when using Hordes or Nuts quantity despite they should not be seen until later?

NeuralStunner

• Green Rupee
  • Don't spend it all in one place.
    • NullSphere
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
Built with Large maps, Hordes of monsters, Jumbled Up themes. No Archies at all until Map10 (which contained 21). Vanilla puts the first one at Map11, seems about right actually.

I do notice that Shotgunners are appearing a bit too late, even at "level 2", making it more difficult to get an early Shotgun. Not seeing them until Map03, which is a bit jarring.

Granted, I'll probably end up making some custom adjustments anyway, like I did with v3. :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:09:22 PM by NeuralStunner »

Herculine

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
Thank you Andrew for all the work you've put into continuing to improve an already great program.

raven5

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
Exellent release, i am playing several days on ZDaemon Heretic Generated levels with this released version and i liked it so much ^.^

borg88

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
Hello.

Well, I just tested today 4.28 release and im quite pleased.
Mazes are very nice now, even better that in 3.57.
Also the idea about multiple hallways to the same room is excelent.
Now the gameplay is much better in coop servers. Monsters
are getting caught in crossfire (and so players sometimes)
Great job :) keep going...

So, few remarks...
Secrets should be more secretive, so texture align is a must..
Maybe place a candle or body to mark secret :)

Im still think that separating the DOOM code from others is a must.
(I think every game should have his own oblige actualy).
With current code Im totaly lost.. Dunno how others.

If you ppl want to play on Oblige generated maps with other players.
I currently run server using Zandronum tagged [Borg] so its easy
to find on doomseeker.