Author Topic: STICKIED: Possible Games  (Read 14563 times)

blackjar72

• Contributor
Re: STICKIED: Possible Games
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »
Quote from: "doomaniac"
Is possible to make Hexen levels like Doom levels?I mean,start the map,kill the monsters,take the powerups and weapons and exit.Even if it has to be one only map.

Absolutely -- well, for the most part anyway.  Having a linear, doom-like progression would be a great start, even with no puzzles, as at this point oblige levels are basically shot-fests / hunting trips in mazes anyway (and with doom I like that, and that might be fine for Hexen as a start, I for one just want to try the same kind of levels but with Hexen weapons / monsters / items / floor specials, mostly).  There is one caveat in that, though; Hexen has a slightly different wad format, with the exit locations stored in the wad -- you could have a totally linear, Doom II like progression of levels, but you would still have create Hexen exits that tell the game you are going from 1 to 2, them from 2 to 3, from 3 to 4, as so on.  Also, because Hexen keys stick around for an entire hub (at least, don't know about after that), so you would have make sure you were using different keys on each level in a hub (otherwise you might start out with everything your supposed to find).

leileilol

• my sirt
Re: Possible Games
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
Yeah that's gonna be the road-block.  The game sounds interesting though, perhaps GOG will pick it up sometime.
Considering it's been finally officially released as freeware now, i'd say the road block's gone. :)
Project Leader of etc., a free first person shooter based on etc. licensed under the etc. license

andrewj

• Developer
Re: Possible Games
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
Considering it's been finally officially released as freeware now, i'd say the road block's gone. :)
Heh, yeah.

De-M-oN

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Need For Speed ?

Games like Doom should be far more complex to do than this one, because for NFS 1 its only turns, slopes and twisted turns. Should be rather easy to do a randomized track compared to doom.

http://www.math.polytechnique.fr/cmat/auroux/nfs/tracked.zip

This is a track editor for this game and the .doc file explains how to use it.

NFS 1 has point to point tracks (this should be the most easy to randomize, because you drive from point a to point b.
And it has curcuit tracks - which would need to stay a curcuit - means that common sense says that start and finish must be connected and have the same heights.

And here some format specs - I could assume they're helpful as well.

http://www.math.polytechnique.fr/cmat/auroux/nfs/nfsspecs.txt
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:34:39 PM by De-M-oN »

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
NFS doesn't exactly use WAD format :p

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 04:24:41 AM »
Making random racing tracks would be a neat project for somebody to work on.

But it is too different for OBLIGE, since OBLIGE is designed for First Person Shooter (FPS) games, which have rooms and weapons and monsters etc....

Plus I need to improve the generated DOOM levels, there is still many things to do just for the DOOM games....

De-M-oN

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
Ok. I understand that.

Problem is only, that you're the only person who does a good random generator at all.

Look for else software - I dont know of any other random generator which does at least a decent job - related to shooter or racing games and for racing there isnt anything at all.

NFS doesn't exactly use WAD format :p

Mentioned games like Quake and so on dont either.

But andrewj is of course correct. For NFS it would require a complete new engine (and this is sure you wanted to say by "doesnt use wad format"). But a suggestion was worth it. And maybe you can find the time for it in a late future. There wont be any other person than you who would ever do it and in a good way. It wasnt in the past, and it wont in the future. So my hope is totally in you ;)

And the work you did so far for doom is quite awesome already and I'm looking forward for every improvement you do here. This is really a great piece of software and I give you thousands of thanks to this. This even more makes doom an immortal game!

Seriously I even would donate you some money if you could do a NFS 1 SE randomizer in future. :) (and your work you did with the current oblige would be a donation worth too of course ;)

leileilol

• my sirt
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
Making random racing tracks would be a neat project for somebody to work on.
Not totally an alien idea either - Lotus The Ultimate Challenge did this and had race tracks defined by a mere string of characters.  It was kind of a cop-out compared to the earlier 4D Sports Driving/Stunts and Stunt Driver which had full track editors though

and yes I agree NFS is beyond the intended scope of Oblige, but I do not agree with the nonsense analogy of the Quake comparison - which is partially incorrect because Quake does use WAD files for texture and graphic lumps :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:06:36 PM by leileilol »
Project Leader of etc., a free first person shooter based on etc. licensed under the etc. license

De-M-oN

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 02:13:25 AM »
But no one else would do such a thing :(

If he would do a nfs 1 oblige - how said I would even pay for it a quite good amount. He's the only person who would do it and has the knowledge to do a good job on this. And NFS 1 should be a lot easier than doom to do. Especially with the point A to B courses because other than curcuits you have not to care about closing the curcuit - just a straight line from point a to b.
you just would have to randomize this straight line in turns and slopes and twisted turns. You even dont have to care about physics like - can the car do the slope - because in NFS 1 a car can also drive up a 90° upward slope lol.

It should be A LOT easier to do for NFS than for doom.

leileilol

• my sirt
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
If it's so 'easy' then why don't you learn how and do it yourself?

Andrewj doesn't owe a NFS generator.  Oblige is a hobby project and it's perfectly in the rights for him to restrict his hobby project to the games he's only interested in.

besides there's no Free NFS game or engine anyway and there's not really a big audience remaining for the first game so it's potentially a waste of the time he has little of.

De-M-oN

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
Its easier than doom. Please read correctly!
Easier to do than doom doesnt mean its easy to write a program.
You interpret things I've never said ..
You really should read more carefully what people are writing.
Easier to do than a doom random level maker means - it should be easier to do a levelmaker for nfs 1 than for doom, because it is more simple. Doom has to consider so much more. Lighting, weapon/monster balance, room logics (design, decoration, detail, placement of things not stuck in wall, switches, key doors, connections to other rooms etc), elevators, staircases, traps, secrets and so much more. Making a random level for doom is by far more complex than making a random level for nfs 1 where you have to only consider the track shape (straight parts, turns, slopes, twisted turns) You dont have to consider lighting, physics, balance and so on. So it SHOULD be far easier to do than the work for a doom level. Because you have to consider A LOT less things.
Again: You really should read more carefully what people are writing.
I never said that programming such a program would be easy .....
_
Look some posts above. There are file specifications available and the tri format is known. There exists also a trackeditor for nfs 1. And the specs explain also the tri format.

Its not a waste of time at all. In fact it makes the first nfs game replayable again. The problem is - that with no new content it isnt replayable. Imagine Doom without additional content. Do you want to replay the originalgame thousands time again and again? The best game would get boring with no additional content.

andrewj understood very well that my request is a wish and a great wish which I would pay for. Would I say that, if I wouldnt appreciate his hard work?

I wrote enough posts in this forum that I appreciate its work very much and so stop insulting me that I dont do it ...

Glaice

• Contributor
  • Veteran OBLIGE modder
    • The Doom Video Vault
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Aye, but you should remember not to push the issue (I know you really aren't) because pestering would get on Andrew's nerves and probably others here.

andrewj

• Developer
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
I think everyone is being polite and there is no problem here at all.

Also I want to say that I appreciate the offer of payment, not many people do that ;).  However the amount of work required would be huge, less than DOOM (that is true), but still hundreds of hours of work. Multiply that by a decent hourly rate..... well I think you can understand it would not be cheap.

Please email me at ajapted@gmail.com if you are serious about hiring me.

Inferno

• Banned too many times from Doomworld
    • Steam account
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »
I'm more in interested in Hacx support than Quake support, so I can't wait for that.

SeriousSasha

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
I hear, source code of Serious Engine 1 was published.
http://www.croteam.com/serious-sam-source-code-released/

Maybe you try to add generator for this game in Oblige? I hope you don't forget your great project. I use this level generator very much times and it work awesome!

Also, I very big fan of Serious Sam. And I really want to ask you about it. Please add Serious Sam 1 in Oblige generator, if you can, of course! Thank you very much!  ;)